15 February 2012

My Obsession

I have a bit of a confession to make. Most of you know that I speak Spanish and that a large chunk of my heart is in Latin America. I've had some amazing experiences through my travels to Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras. I loved, loved, loved living in San Antonio, TX, for a year. My BFF is part Mexican, for crying out loud. I even own multiple Ricky Martin CDs. Another of my besties, Megan, and I often "joke" that "French is for sissies" because of our love for all things Spanish-related.

Which brings me to my confession about my obsession.

The back story: Last year I started DVR-ing the Travel Channel's "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations". Granted, Tony can be a little rough around the edges, but I love his method of introducing the viewer to a locale he/she might not otherwise have even considered visiting. This is what happened to me.

I have never considered visiting France. OK, that's not 100% true, because I would actually like to visit Provence. But that's about it for me and France. Until I watched the 2010 episode of "No Reservations" featuring Brittany. I was immediately hooked.

I can't explain this obsession that has developed. I can't erase the episode from my DVR. Seriously. I'm not even sure how many times I've watched it. I can't stop thinking about the beauty of the region in the episode, particularly the gazillion shades of blue of the area. Every time I see it, I have an intense need to travel to Brittany. If I believed in such things (which I don't), I would think I had lived a former life there. There's a connection I've never felt to a place I've never seen with my own eyes.

I'm not quite sure how or when, but I do plan to visit Brittany. I've got some ideas floating around of how and when, but nothing definite. I'll keep you posted. Literally.

No comments:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
--Ferris Beuller