21 October 2011

Can you get a goose egg on your hand?

Chances are that if you're reading this, you probably know me pretty well...or at least you think you do. This is especially true considering I only sent the link to my blog to a few select people. But you may not know me as well as you think.

As a general rule, I think I'm pretty mild-mannered. I'm usually pretty easy-going, smiling, friendly, blah, blah, blah. I tend to only get really worked up when I feel an injustice has been done. Even then, I usually just run my mouth, sometimes more than others.

What you probably don't know, is that I've always had a pretty bad temper. It's not something I'm proud of, and I tend to hide it pretty well. My mom has told people over the years, "Kelley will be your best friend and do anything for you, just don't make her mad." As I've gotten older, I've mellowed a LOT, but every once in a while, my emotions get the best of me. Sadly, it's in those moments that I tend to overreact.

Take today, for example. I woke up feeling great after a nice long sleep. (I even woke up one time with my mouth hanging open. I know, it's a pretty picture, but I just don't ever sleep with my mouth open, so I must have been extremely relaxed!) I knew I had some serious house cleaning ahead of me as it had been a few weeks since I did major cleaning. (What?!? I went to Disney World and I've been working!) Everything was going well until it came time to vacuum.

I have a history of problems with vacuums, mostly with the Electrolux canister we had when I was a kid that was always running over my heels when I used it. I'm pretty sure that thing wieghed about 80 lbs. Anyway, today I had a little "issue" with the cord on my upright. I don't really remember, but I think the cord got hung up on something, then just got all in my way. In an effort to show that cord who was boss, I thwacked it around a little bit until the handle of the vacuum apparently leaped out and smacked me on the hand.

Okay, so that's not exactly what happened. I guess in the midst of the little fit I was pitching, I inadvertently hit the vacuum handle. Hard. Hard enough to leave an immediate mark. Over the course of the evening, a lovely knot has formed below the bruise. I'm hoping it's just a contusion and that my ridiculousness didn't cause me to break something. I guess it was the vacuum who actually showed me who was boss!

Regardless, I think there may be a lesson to be learned here. Maybe it's something along the lines of "it's time to grow up and stop acting like a kid over such stupid things." Like I said, I'm not proud of my temper. I guess it could be worse - I'm not violent toward people or animals or anything, but it's still pretty pathetic. So why am I sharing all this? Because I said I was going to try to keep it real, and this is really me.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Have you ever considered the possibility that you're just clumsy? Or that you and household appliances are ever at odds? (Hair dryer, broken foot?) Just sayin'......

Charlotte said...

Contrary to your supposition that there is a snake behind every bush waiting to get you...I think household appliances are the enemy you need to be concerned about...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
--Ferris Beuller