The other night I was having dinner with my mom and she shared about a conversation she had recently had with a mutual friend. The friend told her she had just finished watching a program on National Geographic about the building of the Egyptian pyramids.
Now, I think most people, even those who might not believe in God, would agree that based on historical fact, the Egyptian pyramids were built using Israelite slave labor. But the actual building of the pyramids has always been considered something of a mystery. Just how did those Israelites build such enormous buildings, particularly pyramids, without the use of modern machinery? I've never seen the pyramids in person, but I'm pretty sure they're rather massive and are made from some crazy huge pieces of stone. There have, of course, been many theories regarding how the pyramids were actually constructed, but I think this one takes the cake.
Apparently, this program agreed with the idea that the Israelites built the pyramids. But, (and here's where it gets a little hinky for my taste) the program maintained that the Egyptians and Israelites that actually built the pyramids were given the idea and method by...wait for it...aliens. Allegedly, these aliens arrived through a porthole in the atmosphere. Upon their arrival, they secretly instructed the Egyptians and Israelites as to the construction of the pyramids. Then, when the pyramids were completed, the aliens took all those who knew anything about them (the aliens) and the pyramids back to wherever they came from.
I really have a lot of issues with this. First of all, aliens? Really? How did they just happen to come through their little porthole? Why did they even think the Egyptians needed some pyramids? And if they had all this knowledge and power, why didn't they just build the pyramids themselves? Why use some enslaved Jews?
Second, there are people that can buy into the idea that not only do aliens exist, but that they bothered to come to Earth, build some pyramids, and then took everybody with them? Don't you think somebody, somewhere might have mentioned that one day a whole bunch of Israelites disappeared? Didn't anybody see the mother ship??
Finally, my biggest issue is that why is this so easy for people to accept, but they can't believe in God and the Bible? I know it's difficult to believe in something you can't see (that's why it's called "faith", by the way), but why choose to believe in aliens over God? Sure, I've never actually seen God in the flesh, but I've certainly never seen aliens either.
I then have to ask, what about the pyramids in central and South America? Those pyramids (like those in Egypt) are extremely sophisticated works of architecture. There are many mysteries surrounding them as well. Were these aliens involved in those also?
I guess this whole thing just really struck a chord with me because it flies in the face of my beliefs. I understand that not everyone shares my beliefs, but I just have to say that the idea of aliens flying in through some porthole in the atmosphere, giving specific instructions as to the construction of the pyramids, then leaving and taking anyone who had any connection to the pyramids with them just seems absolutely preposterous. And yes, I do find it much easier to accept that an invisible God created the heavens and the earth and everything in them just by speaking them into being.
I guess there are some alien-worshippers out there that would call me crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment